bacg

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Simplicity Bath Robe

     In order to keep practicing outside of my class Mastermind said I could do whatever I wanted as long as it reinforced what I was learning and didn't get too crazy. (This is my facial reaction below.)

      Keeping in mind I couldn't go nuts I picked out a bath robe pattern to make for my hubby. And I will share what I learn from my mistakes with you as well. You can laugh really hard at me because I did. :D 

1. I already had to get more fabric because I cut the wrong side of the fabric. 
2. I wasted so much fabric playing puzzle with all the pattern pieces on the fabric at once.
3. I didn't do smooth long cuts so some edges are jagged.
4. I cut out and ironed all the pieces in the pattern later realizing it contained child/teen and teen/adult when all I needed was teen/adult. 
5. I almost cut my hair while leaning over the fabric when cutting so I have to keep it up or bound. 
6. I didn't cut the notches because I didn't know what they meant. So I will have to go back and rectify that!


Simplicity Patterns are not so simple. :'(

   
      Now I have only actually worked with two different brands of patterns and that is McCalls and Simplicity. What I do like about McCalls is that each size has their own individual dashed lines such as some are smaller and others are thicker or smaller. It was very easy to follow with a price but that is what a coupon is for. :D

      Then Simplicity threw through a loop because the same line is used for each size complete with confusing size labels and such. I cut on the wrong line a few times and ended up taping it back together. Simplicity is not terrible because their price is usually really cheap and their instructions are not as detailed as McCalls. But I am  glad to have worked with Simplicity.

      The brand I am hoping to try is Butterick. Mrs. Ann's had a 5 for $7 deal that I heard from a bird so I grabbed some I would like to make. This way if I try many different brands you guys can decide which one you will like.


     Because I am working with fleece that sheds like crazy I have to overlock the edges to prevent it from falling apart while washing and wearing. To overlock you keep the fabric half way under the zipper foot. Yes the zipper foot is what we want to use because only a zipper stitch will bind the edges.

     What happens sometimes when sewing is that I get caught up in sewing and start to stretch the fabric while if feeds underneath. DO NOT COMMIT THIS SIN! Terrible stuff people. Just hold it up and gently guide it in the right direction. You don't want the wavy mess I got. Trust me ;)


      Can you see it? The words make it the most apparent. I cut the wrong side. :''( Sad moment. I could only laugh then go to the store. Yes more Star Wars has appeared. Geekiness isn't meant to be hidden. :D I hope you guys had a good laugh and I will share more stupid funnies as we go on. :)


                                                                          -Mrs. Feisty

No comments:

Post a Comment