bacg

Friday, February 21, 2014

Supplies

What's your pattern?
 (sounds like a pick up line. Ha ha ha ha.)

Now, I am not going to explain how I got everything for every project. However, this is our first project together so for those who are ignorant like myself we will discover this together!

I cannot stand a certain store in the area and they are very popular despite their dreadful service and lack of specific supplies for any one craft area. I will call it Mrs. Anne's for here.

In order to avoid Mrs. Anne's I went to a local store. Now what happens is that you sort through books with all sorts of clothes and on that page with the clothes you like there is a pattern number.

The pattern number is like a call no. for a book in the library. You write it down then sort through the patterns using the numbers. It is in bold on the right of our pattern in this picture. Once you find it flip if over to the sizing area.


Sizing


     I'm a size 8 in U.S. pants normally and so my first thought was that I am a size 8. STOP! Retail sizes and pattern sizes do not coincide. So I actually had to measure myself so that I knew what my real size was. Which works out great because if you are heavier at the top and not the bottom vice versa you can easily adjust the size of clothing.

     After my measurements I discovered I was a size 12 and tried to take no offense to what the pattern was telling me. I blame retail. I chose to do the A top and F bottoms. I underlined the yardage I would need to help me focus. *(Fabric bolts usually come in 45 or 60. The smallest in height is a 45 and the taller ones are a 60. It is not written or typed anywhere it is assumed that you have that knowledge when you go into the store. Just a warning.)

Fabric

     I was so excited for Batman! The store didn't have any of the real batman but the cartoon version that doesn't really stick to the real batman so I grabbed Star Wars.

      Please forgive me. :/ I did put in a request for Batman and other superhero fabrics that I could possibly use later on.

     I chose a regular cotton blend for the bottoms and a jersey fabric top. I am super excited to start sewing and now my hubby wants some made for him too. They had Darth Vader fabric there of all people! I might make him some from that pattern.

     Sadly, I wasn't able to coordinate with our master mind to start sewing and reading patterns so we will get that done this next week. Sorry guys I trying to be patient as well! :D



                                                                 - Mrs. Feisty




4 comments:

  1. I found that McCalls pattens teed to cut a bit on the large size...but as I haven't sewn for years things may well have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard some prefer one brand of pattern over another. I appreciate the thought and will include my review on how clear and accurate their patterns are. So we shall see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pretty blog... I think your pattern is really cute..Look forward to seeing them.
    ps Patterns are definitely smaller than rtw clothes..
    Happy sewing.. Look forward to following your blog..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am very excited to start. :-)

      Delete