bacg

Friday, August 22, 2014

V8882 Green Skirt & Invisible Zipper Tutorial



I made the same skirt as before. With the pink one I did it with Mastermind and now that we have thousands of miles between us I cannot resume my class with her. To ensure I was paying attention I did this one all by myself.

I always go through the clearance section of fabric and got this green fabric for a killer price. :D Since I didn't have to buy a new pattern but use the old one I saved money that way. It turned out really well and I did get stuck at parts but luckily I have this blog with posts on how to do stuff. The pleats made me pause then I was like, "Oh yeah check the blog!" Then I was on my happy way.

I have also learned that the more you iron the better the product. I hated ironing with a passion when I started sewing because it felt like the most unproductive thing. But now I just put on a podcast or movie and iron away. :D

I am going to add some embroidery along the hem in a ivy leaf pattern. I haven't figured it out completely but I post that as well when it is finished. What I forgot to post about was how to do the invisible zipper.

Invisible Zipper Tutorial

1. Sew 1/2 inch from edge of fabric from top of fabric to bottom markings to where it is supposed to end.

2. Iron edge flat then lay the back flat and separate the edges apart from each other and iron really well.

3. Pin the zipper to where you think you want it situated on the back. Then flip it over and see if the bottom of the zipper is aligned with the bottom of the zipper markings.


4. Once you have it figured out pin it really well and make sure the zipper is aligned to the small gap between the folded fabric edges.


5. Now that it is ready move your needle to the farthest it will go to the side of your zipper foot. It took some messing around the sewing machine for me to figure out how to do it on my machine.


6. Now take a scrap of fabric and run it as practice under the machine to make sure it is doing okay.

7. If the needle is on the far right I want the zipper foot pressed as close as possible to the left side of the zipper and make sure the zipper tab is flipped up or it will cause a bulge farther down the zipper. And sew downward then once you have reached the bottom with the needle in the fabric turn the fabric so that you are going to cross over the zipper. But DO NOT sew over the metal piece of the zipper because that will break your needle. Sew across and back then lift off the needle and cut your threads.

8. Same as 7 but you should have the needle to that farthest on the left pushing the right side of the zipper against it. Also go across at the bottom then snip the threads.

9. It should look like this. Once you are satisfied with your zipper undo the basting of the two edges in the middle.

10. Voila! Any questions or if I missed anything please don't hesitate to comment. The point of this is to guide others and then whenever I want to look back on how to do things.

           -Mrs. Feisty


4 comments:

  1. Your skirt is beautiful..You did a great job.. Your zipper is perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mastermind taught me how to do the zipper so that I wasn't intimidated by them anymore. :D Thank you for your support! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another successful zipper, I see. Fantastic. So glad you made another one of those skirts. They are cute on you. Heads up- this is a normal zipper not an invisible zipper. We never had a chance to teach you how to do an invisible zipper. They are quite a bit different. Ha ha! Now you have something else to learn :)

    ReplyDelete